ASSEMBLY OF FIRST NATIONS 2021 ELECTION FOR THE OFFICE OF THE NATIONAL CHIEF
Office of The Chief Electoral Officer
May 12, 2021
I am pleased to announce that the nomination process for the upcoming Election for the Office of National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) is now open. The nomination process will be open until June 2, 2021 at 11:59pm ET. Candidates Nomination Package received after this date will not be accepted. The Election of National Chief will take place online on July 7, 2021 during the 42nd AFN Annual General Assembly hosted be Chiefs of Ontario in a virtual forum.
In order to become a candidate for National Chief in the 2021 AFN Election, and as per Appendix A (1990) of the AFN Charter, potential Candidates for the Office of National Chief must meet the eligibility criteria:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of ages;
- Be of First Nations ancestry;
- Belong to a first Nation in good standing as a member of the Assembly of First Nations;
- Be endorsed by fifteen (15) eligible electors, i.e. Chiefs representing First Nations which are Members of the Assembly of First Nations, eight (8) of whom must be from a province or territory other than that from which the Candidate comes; and
- Complete and submit a Candidate Nomination Package in proper form to the Chief Electoral Officer, in addition to meeting the requirements of Appendix A (1990) of the AFN Charter, by the specified deadline.
Candidate Nomination Packages are available upon requests. Individuals interested in becoming a candidate for National Chief are invited to contact the Electoral Officer or their assistant with questions or to request a Candidate Nomination Package using the following information:
AFN Chief Electoral Officer
Phone: 604-241-6789 ext. 160
Assistant to the Chief Electoral Officer
Phone: 604-241-6789 ext. 286