Home and Community Care RPN
Deadline: Open until filled
Shibogama First Nations Council is looking for a Home Care Nurse to provide health care to individuals in their homes. We are looking for someone who is compassionate, caring, and professional. We work hard and have fun doing so much more than just working with people. We work to help people live their best lives.
- Defines program priorities and develop and implement related strategies.
- Ensure that the services provided meet the needs of clients through ongoing program monitoring, and consultation with clients, community members and leaders.
- Conducts program evaluations and identifies any areas of concern and makes related recommendations to the Health Director and HCC RN Supervisor.
- Develops and maintains a system for data collection and record keeping.
- Prepares statistics reports for the Health Director on a quarterly basis and/or as needed.
- Contributes to the development and review of the service delivery plan.
- Ensure the program is meeting the mandatory essential services elements of the FNIHB funded Home and Community Care Program including writing mandatory reports and/or appropriate proposal development.
- Works closely with a team of Personal Support Workers (PSWs), and other healthcare professionals in the program.
- Conducts home visits and assessment of clients needs; creates a care plan for the PSWs to follow in the community setting.
- Provides ongoing administrative and clinical supervision, guidance, and support to Community PSWs and ensures optimal level of service delivery is being maintained.
- Assists with the selection of new staff, and provides orientation and training, identifies staff training needs, and makes related recommendations to the Health Director and Nursing Director.
- Creates training plans and contributes to ensuring clinical competencies are met.
- Provides in-home, client-centered nursing services to community members.
- Assesses client needs and develop goal-based, client-centered client care plans; Care plans for the Community PSW as well as Nursing and Case Management care plans.
- In-home nursing services may include but are not limited to the following: Acute care nursing (ex. Complex dressings, injections), wound management, medication monitoring, managing chronic diseases, foot care, therapeutic diet support and teaching clients to care for themselves.
- Networks and maintains relationships with medical professionals in the Community, the Chief and Council, and other stakeholders.
- Consults and collaborates with the Long-Term Care (LTC) Nursing regarding clients, staff, and other matters.
- Consults with and/or make referrals to healthcare professionals and the Health program (ex. IRS, Mental Health, Crisis) as needed.
- Consult with the individual Health Canada (HC) nursing station staff in RN assistance required at the community level as per the development of the Memo of Understanding (MOU) with HC.
- Attends meetings related to Home and Community Care of as requested by community Health Director and provides verbal reports when requested.
- Establish linkages with other organizations and/or individuals for the program.
- Attends workshops, training, and other professional development initiatives to ensure nursing skills remain current.
- Prepares written quarterly and year-end reports.
- Perform other duties requested.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Two years of experience providing nursing care in-home or in a community setting an asset.
- Skills and experience in adult education and training.
- Foot care course would be an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Ability to speak Oji-Cree or Ojibway an asset.
- Basic computer literacy skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the isolated communities.
- Awareness or working with Unregulated Health Workers; Transfer/Delegation of skills, processes, and requirements.
How to Apply
Submit Resume and Cover Letter in Confidence to:
Ola Udensi, Home & Community Care Nurse Lead
Shibogama First Nations Council
P.O. Box 449, 81 King Street
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1A5